(519)222-2299 | @seanyo | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn
Hi I'm Sean.
I'm smart and I get things done.
I help build websites and communities - usually at the same time.
I built my first website in 1996 and I still wake up thinking about them.
I geek out on the web, accessibility, user experience, cooking and games.
I use vi to code, git to collaborate, Steam to game and my powers for awesome.
I work with people who build websites & communities to make the world more awesome.
Web Solutions Cluster
- Technical Lead for campus Web Operations; hosting environment includes LAMP stack, IIS and ColdFusion servers behind a load-balanced reverse proxy service.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to web developers for cost-recovery web site development.
- Provide strategic technical planning and information architecture on web platforms and deployment, such as Drupal, Cake PHP and Igloo.
- I have sat on several hiring committees from management positions, to peer positions and international interns.
- Working in the position of Analyst III since 2008.
Campus Services Team
- Member of the SysAdmin team, responsible for care and feeding of services such as Email, Web Hosting, Backup & Storage. Data Centre experience with HP-UX, Solaris, Linux and Windows.
- Member of the Web Service Team, managing the enterprise web hosting service for more than 100 campus websites, including the University of Guelph website.
- Provided advanced support for campus clients. Developed and delivered staff IT training.
- Major projects include roll out of Webmail to campus, Organizing Web Development training for IT Staff, and leading the Campus Blog Pilot Project.
- Worked in the position of Analyst I and Analyst II from 2000-2008.
- Worked front-line support at both the Help Desk and Help Line.
- Triage support incidents, provided immediate resolution when possible.
- Provided support on wide variety of desktop applications and campus IT services.
- Developed end-user documentation and training material which I also delivered.
- Worked in the position of Student Consultant from 1998-2000
Resonant Studios Web Design
- Co-Founder and Partner of Resonant Studios, a web design consultancy.
- Deliver web design and development services to small business, non-profit, higher-education and corporate clients.
- Design, project manage and build custom web apps using Ruby on Rails and Drupal.
- Extensive experience deploying WordPress as a Content Management System, including WordPress custom themes and module development.
- Partner, Developer and Project Manager since 2005.
» School of English and Theatre Studies
- Digital Media Studies, Critical Theory of Wikis, Media Genealogy, World of Warcraft.
- 2008 SW/TX Popular Culture and American Culture Association Conference
- Chaired World of Warcraft Session & presented my paper: "Docile Avatars: The Regulation of Bodies in World of Warcraft".
- Major Research Paper: "World of Warcraft: (En)Coding Identity in Synthetic Worlds"
- Experience as Teaching Assistant in face-to-face Academic Courses and on-line Academic Courses
- Broad course of studies, focusing on Critical Analysis, History and Philosophy and Computer Science.
- Senior Research Project: HTML as Genre: A Critical Analysis of Hypertext.
- Board of Directors, Undergraduate Govt. Board of Directors University Centre.
- Executive, College of Arts Govt. Co-Founder of the Festival of The Arts event. Co-Founder of the Intellectual Freedom Forum.
- Executive Member of the Games Club; Coordinator for Annual Campus Gaming Conventions: Gryphcon and Chibicon. Attributed as "Steve Ho" on the Space Channel.
I am active in the local tech community. I am a long time member of the Kitchener-Waterloo Design Meetup, I regularly attend DemoCampGuelph and lend a hand with it when I can. I have participated in several local tweetups and I have recently started volunteering at the campus radios station CFRU 93.3 FM. I have been involved with the United Way Campaign at the U of G every year; I have sat on the Steering Committee, been a Departmental Coordinator, a canvasser and I have worked on several versions of their website.
This will be the second year I am running an A11yCamp, at the Accessibility Conference, an unconference focused on web and software accessibility. This past year I started the Guelph Web Makers Meetup, a meetup for anyone who helps make websites in the Guelph Area. I also helped relaunch a local community coding event, now called hackGuelph.
I attend several tech conferences, such as OUCC, CANHEIT, FSOSS, The Accessibility Conference, and DrupalCon. I have been on the conference committee of OUCC, CANHEIT and The Accessibility Conference. I also frequently present at conferences and meetups, typically speaking 5-10 times per year. Here is a short list of selected presentations I have given:
- Wiki Do: The Way of the Wiki – Canadian Higher-Education IT Conference 2006
- Web 2.0 Experiential Learning – Teaching And Learning Innovations Conference 2009
- Community Is The Platform – U of G Spring IT Conference Keynote 2010
- Building A Better Web. Together: The U of G Campus Web Community – Ontario University Computing Conference 2010
- Web Accessibility: Principles, Strategies and Tactics – Ontario University Computing Conference 2010
- Drupal vs. Wordpress Smackdown – Kitchener-Waterloo Web Design Meetup 2010
- A Delicious Tale: What the story of Del.icio.us can teach us about Cloud Applications – Guelph Web Makers Meetup 2011
In 2007 I was part of the inaugural team of volunteers at the University of Guelph to participate in Leave For Change. I went on a three week short-term volunteer placement in Kathmandu, Nepal where I worked with the Fair Trade Group Nepal. I focused on building organizational capacity by training their staff and their member organizations on HTML development and delivered a strategic web plan for their organization. I was honoured to be invited to speak at the Women in Information and Communication Technology Group while I was in Kathmandu.
In 2009 I traveled with my father to Indonesia, where he was born. As part of this trip, I was able to volunteer with the Agape Social Foundation, a non-profit group which provides funding for children to attend school and runs a learning centre and children's library. The foundation is run by my family; I was able to once again focus on increasing their capacity by delivering IT and Web Development training to the teaching staff of the Agape Social Foundation. I was once again honoured to be invited to speak, this time at the Universitas Muhamadiyah Malang. I presented to their IT Staff, at their request reviewed their new campus website and had a meeting with the University President.
These opportunities have profoundly affected my values and vision. The opportunity of the Internet and the Web has tremendous promise. Closing the Digital Divide and enabling everyone who wishes it to connect through the Web is a project that could take a lifetime to achieve. And that sounds like a pretty great life to me.
- Enterprise system administration experience in a heterogeneous enterprise environment, including HP-UX, Solaris, Linux, and Windows.
- Completed O'Reilly School of Technology Linux/Unix System Administration, accredited by the University of Illinois.
- Completed all courses for Professional Track HP-UX Certification.
- Long term experience managing enterprise Apache web hosting environment, including web operations, strategic planning and service architecture.
- Extensive experience in developing and delivering I.T. training and end-user documentation.
- Recipient of the 2011 Accessibility Award for work on The Accessibility Conference.
- Save jPod: Co-Creator of the Save jpod website, a fan community-website to protest the cancellation of the CBC television show jPod. Collected 6000 signatures on our online petition.
- Undergraduate Course Lectures
- Modes of Inquiry, Special Topics: Blogging, Forbidden Knowledge
- Gradaute Course Lecturers
- English and Theatre Studies Critical Practice: Wikis
- Published co-author of three adventures for the Star Wars RPGA Living Force campaign.